Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Lawncare and egg salad

Yes, that was me. I was that lawn nerd out watering my lawn yesterday. But I swear, I had a perfectly good reason. Really! I'll explain...

After work yesterday, I picked up some peat moss at the local Home Despot. I also almost bought "The Lazy Man's Garden", a package of different seeds with instructions on how to arrange them for the horticulturally inept. I'm no green thumb, but I don't like people thinking I'm lazy so I didn't get it. Plus, I'd like to get take a few moments to pick out the right package if I were to get it, and yesterday the clock was ticking. Anyway, I bought my peat moss and hit the road.

When I got home, I quickly changed into shorts and a t-shirt (YES!) and headed back out. I put down some fresh grass seed to fill in some of the thin spots, ran the fertilizer spreader over the entire lawn and proceeded to spread the peat moss. I had three bags, but that was gone in next to no time. Toward the end, I saw the end of the last bag closing in on me and, using a new technique, started spreading it faster to make sure it would last. It didn't but I covered most of the bare spots.

Next, I had to water in the fertilizer. It comes in these little granules, so to make sure it gets down into the soil, you have to water it. Plus, the peat moss is wicked dusty and I wanted to make sure that stayed put. So there I am, April 11th, watering my lawn. Some people are still driving around with studded tires and I'm out there with garden hose in hand, watering the lawn like a damn fool. Ahhh, me love me lawn.

One of these days I need to get my hands on a burning barrel to get rid of all the branches in my backyard. Normally I would just burn them in my firepit, but there's a lot and I want them GONE. Every year I have to deal with all of the branches and whatever other nonsense is scattered about the yard (old kitchen cabinets, old bathroom vanities, a countertop, moulding, linoleum scraps, etc.) for the first two months of summer and this year I do not want that. Give me a good afternoon of burning and I can be DONE with that shit.

After that, I whipped up some DELICIOUS egg salad on toast. I put sliced green olives in it, and man oh man was that good. Some sliced red and green bell peppers on the side with a dipping sauce and I was in business. No, it wasn't anything extravagant but I was working in the yard all afternoon. Plus I haven't been to Sam's Club in a while and I'm pretty much out of everything. There's some ground beef in the freezer, but I'm on a quest to eliminate red meat from my diet. JD, pork is not red meat, so I can still have roasts. I don't have any roasts, but once I get some, I can have them.

And finally, why didn't anyone tell me this Sunday is Easter? I got an e-mail from my mother asking if I had any plans for the weekend. I thought it was just small-type, but then she went on to talk about Easter and I put two and two together. Ab, don't think just because you're in Japan you don't have to remind me of these things. See, I have become accustomed to my sister calling to see if I want to ride out to Buffalo with her. That serves as a reminder to me that it's either Mother's Day, Father's Day, someone's birthday or a holiday. Now I have to remember these things myself (which I usually do, just when it's too late).

Anyway, work's calling. I holler at all y'all later.

Over and out,
Old Coot

1 comment:

Abbey said...

Dude, I just remembered it was Easter like Tuesday. And I have no date. I'll be celebrating Easter at a Japanese festival - where guys and gals get crunked, throw on the lampshades and hit each other with big sticks.

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre