Sunday, April 16, 2006

Dress up your home for less...

Ho Ho Hoooo! Merry Easter!

Tee hee hee. Well folks, it's Easter morning and I'm somehow the first one up. I had a recurring theme in Dreamland last night (which I'm not gonna share), but it was really making me mad. And there's nothing less restful than mad dreams (aside from insomnia, which really sucks), especially ones that continue on all night. I even tried taking off my socks, as they have proven to be the root of mad dreams in the past. No luck.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in the B-lo. I took a stroll down Elmwood in search of a t-shirt and perhaps a hat. There are tons of shops that sell Buffalo paraphernalia, so I thought I'd find something for sure. I did not. But I did enjoy the stroll and the overpriced latte that accompanied my stroll.

At 2:00 I had a mother-son appointment to get the oil changed in my car (gasp, I hate having someone else do it), and my mother to get her car inspected. The place was mad busy, but there was this couple there who kept my spirits high. The woman found EVERYTHING to be hilarious, and also found the need to comment on anything and everything. She was killing me. Example: her steering wheel apparently did have the tilt function, but did not have the stop tilting function, so it would shift all over the place while you're driving. She made the mechanic aware of this in a most comical way.

Then when it was time to pull her van into the bay, she realized that it might be the right time to make sure they knew the brakes do not work. Not that they're bad, but they just plain don't work. I guess it was in for brake work, so they knew. Hilarious again. As they were pulling the van in, she described a fictional scene where it would continue off the lift and through the back of the shop. Just then we heard a loud bang which turned out to be a hood slamming shut, but it definitely produced a round of chuckles and her belting out "Whoo hooo hoooooooo! See I told you!" in her stereotypical oversized black lady voice.

Well, my oil change went without a hitch. They of course recommended that I have a power steering fluid flush and change, which I declined. "It's not bad, but I wouldn't drive any long distances" the guy told me, knowing full well that I don't live in NY. "Okay, good to know" I told him, and I left.

Afterwards, my mother and I made up some egg salad sandwiches. As we were peeling the eggs, I almost crapped my pants. My dad, who had been MIA all afternoon, appeared to have lost two fingers in the garbage disposal. Upon closer inspection, the two finger tips turned out to be wrinkly white grapes. Phew!

After lunch my mother and I went to FWS to check out rugs. If you're from Buffalo, you know the song "Dress up your home for less, FWS" has to be sung in the ridiculous radio voice whenever you speak of the store. (Ab, I'll wait while you wipe the snot off your upper lip) I'm in the market for rugs, as my house is very echoey nowadays. The long and short of it, I bought an 8x13 (roughly) real wool rug for the living room and a 2x3 oriental rug to put in front of the fireplace so I don't burn up the good rug. The plan was to find something for the dining room, but I can move the rug that's currently in the LR into the DR and all will be fine.

After that, a nice 8-mile run was needed. I ran to the park, twice around it, and back. Apparently nobody around here runs in the road (or street as WNYers call it) because drivers were looking at me like I was crazy. You wanna talk crazy, you should see what running on concrete sidewalks does to your knees and hips. No thanks, I'll take blacktop and traffic any day.

So that was about it. After that it was chilling, a nice ham dinner, some ice cream and the movie Chocolat, which I had never seen before and was pretty freaking good.

Well folks, that's it for this morning. I hope you all enjoy your egg hunts, baskets of loot and swine dinners. As for me, I'm gonna have some breakfast and go to (gulp) church. Gotta hurry though, brunch at 3:00.

Over and out,
Old Coot

1 comment:

Abbey said...

Actually, I was laughing since the wrinkly grapes! I can't believe Mom didn't eat them!
Dress up your home for less, FWS..doont doont doont!

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre