Saturday, April 22, 2006

Jiffy Cornbread, and I Don't Care

Happy Saturday morning, readers! Today is the first dismal day here in the Berkshires in a while. I am in no way complaining, because I have things to do and lawns that need water. Of course there's myriad things I should be doing around the house, but instead I think I'm gonna drive out to Albany, get my Sam's Club on and maybe stroll around the mall. I should really stay at home and not spend money, but I'm going to do exactly the opposite.

Yesterday I blew off work around noon. It was a gorgeous day and I had outdoorsing to do. As I may have mentioned, I finally got my bike out so I rode that home from work, coordinated a run (with some biking) with one of the women in the CRG, and cleaned up the kitchen a bit. I was expecting to meet up at her house, so when she offered to ride over to mine my "visitor's eyes" turned on and I realized my house was a disgrace. So instead of changing my clothes, I cleaned the kitchen. I have to say I did a pretty good job, all things considered.

Our run was to be from the mall entrance of the Rail Trail. The ride out there is about 5 miles. Instead, we opted to ride a little further down so that the run would include the scenic part of the trail. Good times. The run was nice, as it was absolutely perfect running weather. Sunny, 60s, slight breeze, Friday, etc. Afterwards, we rode back to Juice 'n' Java where I broke my coffee fast with a double-shot latte.

Mmm MMM, bitch.

I went home, cleaned up my act a little, made dinner plans and got ready to leave. As I rolled my bike into the basement, I noticed something funny. I looked down and saw that I had picked up a safety pin between Juice 'n' Java and my house. Now, I can probably almost throw a baseball from my house to JnJ, so after riding 18 miles, I punctured my tire in the last 1/10 mile. DAG!

Eh, no biggie. I'll pick up some tubes today and get that all fixed up (with one to spare for the next time I bust a tube). It's probably been well over a decade since I last changed a bike tube, but how hard can it be?

So did I mention that our little biathalon included 18 miles of biking and 7 miles of running? I was tired, but not nearly as tired as I thought I'd be. Man, I'm a ninja! I stunk to all hell, and got some strange tan lines, but I was still able to function. And I was covered in that funny salty crust you only get when it's warm enough for a good sweat, but not so humid that the sweat rolls off of you (or if you live in AZ). It has to dry right as it seeps from your pores. Well, that's how it was yesterday and I was kuh-rusty.

Well, I've had my Jiffy Cornbread pancakes (I highly recommend them to everyone who isn't counting calories) and a cup of coffee. I think it's time to give my mullet a quick trim, shower and head out to Sam Diggidy's Clubhouse.

Later players,
Old Coot

1 comment:

Abbey said...

Don't forget the chocolate chips!

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre