Thursday, April 27, 2006

Got my ride tweaked

Morning y'all. I hope you haven't all gotten accustomed to multiple entries a day, because I tend to go through phases. That's my excuse for why you didn't get anything yesterday. Plus I was busy most of the day AND then busy again later on. Then, I was too tired.

Work was another one of those SSDD (we love us some acronyms here) - Same Shit Different Day - kind of days. Nothing special happened, but at least it wasn't a bad day. I rode my bike in to work, knowing that it was going to be nice and warm in the afternoon. Apparently, we're still in that part of the year where the temperature swings by 30+ degrees every day. So when I got to work, numbhanded and eyes full of tears, I checked the weather and it was 32 degrees. Oops, my bad.

After work, I ate dinner (mmm, more of that delicious leftover chicken) and played some Solitaire. I was somewhat prepared to do nothing for the rest of the day, but it was so nice out I had to do something. I suited up in my biking shorts (no, not lycra) and went out for about and hour and fifteen minutes. I kind of cruised around my part of town for a bit, then headed out to another section, did some hills (hoo-wee those were some sumbitches of hills).

My speedometer read 5 mph for about a mile straight, which was crazy on two counts. The first is that I finally figured out how to get it to display speeds and distances in American. Until last week it would only display metric, which required me to convert it to American urrtime I wanted to know how fast I was going or how far I had gone. The second is that 5 mph is slow. I run faster than that, even uphill. But I just kept my little legs spinning and slowly made my way up the hills. At the top of the last one, I thought my heart was going to explode. I slugged about half of my water (mmm, grape Fruit-2-O) in one chug just to make sure I was extra winded and headed on downhill.

On the downhill, as I was topping 30mph, I made a keen observation - "Mmmmm, it tastes like the mosquitoes are out".

After my ride, I decided to tweak my bike a little, since it had never before been adjusted. It was in the same position they left it in when they assembled it at the store, wrong. I rotated the handlebars so that I didn't have to bust my hands anymore (a straight bar isn't really straight, more of an arc), rotated the brake and shift levers, slid the seat back a little and adjusted the brakes. Don't get me wrong, I don't know much about bikes, I just guessed well and made some real headway.

Which brings me to my next accomplishment - my tools formerly known as "The Tools Soaked in Cat Urine" have been upgraded to just "Tools". At some point, my cat whizzed in my toolbox and I've been avoiding those tools for as long as possible. Last night I needed my allen wrenches and had to open the box. WHEW, damn that reeks! So I took out the suspect tray, sprayed it down with Ammonia, rinsed everything under HOT water and set it all out to dry. Hopefully that'll remedy the situation. I might have to clean the whole thing, but that's more than I really want to undertake, so I'm gonna go with just the tray for now and hope for the best.

After that, I had just enough time to clean up my kitchen and get situated for Lost. Ahh, got some more Fruit-2-O, a couple of lap cats, a belly full of cereal, let's get to vegging. Nope, it was a rerun. BALLS! I ended up watching some investigator/CSI-style/prison/computer-graphic-heavy/take-a-long-time-to-get-to-the-end-result-you-know-is-coming show, but I mostly used it as background noise while I did some stretching. Then, shower and bed.

And there you have it,
Old Coot

No comments:

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre