Friday, June 30, 2006

A Perfect Freaking Day

Happy Beginning of 4th of July Weekend! I had taken a few hours off yesterday to get some work done on my porch (which by the way is one handrail short of completion), so today I was going to make them up then take some vacation to get out and do some kayaking. During last night's Thursday Night Run, I was extended an invition for an early morning paddle, so those plans changed.

Since this would be my maiden voyage in the A-Kayak, I thought some company would be nice. Plus, I don't really know of too many places to get out and paddle, so I would have gone to Pontoosuc (pon-TOO-suk) Lake which is not the most serene setting. Instead, we went out to Upper and Lower Goose Ponds. I forget which one you start in, but it was so perfect. The water was like glass and it was very scenic. I was promised that we would get to one end where we'd find a narrow passage to the other pond. The second is protected by the State (or Commonwealth to be exact) so there aren't any houses on the shore. Fortunately we didn't need to know any secret handshakes to gain entry to the protected area.

The little connecting channel feels like you're paddling through a little windy river. It's not a good choice for claustophobes, as it's probably 20' wide at the widest and very shallow. The trees overhang the water and it is absolutely gorgeous. The second pond is just this nice secluded body of water, complete with a little island cropping up off to one side. There are remains of an old beaver dam, some weeds where the geese chill and even an eerie section covered in fog. I'm guessing it's spring-fed and that's where the cold water comes in. Just a guess.

The first half of the trip we saw one other boat and then maybe half a dozen more on the return trip until the very end when a few canoeists were dropping in. They looked like a bunch of New Yorkers (we have great disdain for New Yorkers in The Berkshires) judging by their tacky old lady garb and complete ineptitude with all things natural. This one woman was sporting one of those big ass hats that fancy women wear (it was purple), a gaudy top and a skirt. Seriously woman, you're going in a canoe, what's with the skirt? Actually, what's with the rest of it you wack-job? Oh, and she had this hubcap-sized brass broach on her shirt. It was probably the spinners from her gangstermobile.

TAAAA-CKKKKYYYYY!

After that, I went home and had lunch. Then off to work for a few hours. I plan on getting my bike over to Arcadian Shop for a proper fitting, then I might take myself on a nice ride. I'll have to see if I can find myself some company to make the ride nicer. CPG still owes me a ride, perhaps I can convince her to join me.

Oh, more about the porch. I sat out there this fine morning enjoying the beautiful morning and a hot cup of coffee. PERFECT! It was still damp from last night's rain and the cedar smells SOOOOOO GOOOOOODDDDD.

Mmmm, MMMM bitch. That's my porch, made painstakingly by me, Old L Coot. Don't get the reference? Click on this here hyperlink.

Well folks, tomorrow I get more upload space on flickr so I can post some porch pictures and a few from this morning's awesome kayak trip. There's one in particular that really came out exactly as I imagined it would.

Over and Out,
Old Coot

No comments:

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre