Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day 2006!

Happy Father's Day! I haven't called my father yet, as he's probably in church as I sit here typing. I will, I just haven't yet.

Yesterday I traveled to SPAC to see the Dave Matthews Band show and it was great. We left a little too early and the cops had all of the cars circling in a holding pattern until the lots opened. Once we got in and situated, it was a chill time. We had tons of great food and the car next to us played a good mix of non-DMB music. I don't like when people tailgate listening to the band they're about to go in to see. We didn't have to listen to that, and it was nice.

The show itself was fantastic. I heard some songs I didn't expect them to play, a few new songs I didn't know and it was a rockin' good time! Ha ha, how old did that last sentence make me sound. What I appreciated most was the fact that there weren't any jackasses fighting, shoving and performing other assorted concert faux pas. Last year a few kids got their asses handed to them, rightly so, but during some really chill songs. It was a bummer. This year, no such thing.

One thing I noticed was the widespread consumption of pot during the show. I've been to a number of shows of all types and you always have people smoking, but it seemed like this year people were wilding out. I mean, I saw Willie Nelson last summer and it wasn't that bad. I'm not complaining, just making an observation. Only one kid got busted that I saw, and all they would do was (to use Q-Tip's phrase) "interrupt your cypher and crush your blunt". I thought that was nice of security to be "lenient" on people. Sure, it probably sucked for those people who lost their pot, but they could have been thrown out or arrested.

Afterwards, we chilled in the parking lot and had a snack while everyone else sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic trying to get out 13 seconds faster. Good times. The whole time we sat there, this jackass was emptying all of the garbage out of his pickup truck onto the ground. He then stood leaning on the bumper as if he didn't know what to do next. As we drove by, I took pity on him and asked if his battery was dead. I wasn't keen on taking everything out of my car to get to my cables, but I thought I'd do the right thing and help out if he needed. "Do I look like I'm dead?" he responded in an arrogant drunk tone, befitting his arrogant daddy-bought-me-a-huge-truck-and-the-world-is-here-to-serve-me demeanor. "Okay, you're welcome anyway" I responded and I left his sorry ass standing in the empty parking lot. I secretly hoped the cops who were clearing everyone out would give him a DUI, as he was clearly drunk. Daddy would probably bail him out, but "boy would he be mad".

Okay, I have a couple pictures that I took the other day when I found a caterpillar who had fallen victim to a spider. I dislike both and I'm not sure what to think of this display. My initial thought was that it was just "how spiders roll", but since The Spider King and I have been at war for the last 27 years I think it may have been a warning. See for yourself...

The first picture was taken from inside my screen door on the side of the house. You can see the web and some goo (spilled out of the caterpillar on the bottom right of his body), it's really pretty nasty.

The second shot was from outside the door. What really skeeves me out is that you can see the shriveled up caterpillar carcass, but his eyes are still big and round. Caterpillar eyes must not be tasty to a spider. Is the same true for human eyeballs?

I came home the other night and immediately went to the bathroom to try and remove whatever was in my eye. I was leaned right in on the mirror when I turned on the light and found a huge clear spider inches from my eye. I wasn't wearing protective eyewear or anything, just my naked eye right next to the spider. And I swear he had some sort of cloaking device, because he was damn near transparent. Well, a few dozen squares of Charmin introduced him to his maker.

Okay, that's it for my Father's Day, DMB, spider update. I hope you all get to enjoy the day and the upcoming work week. I'll be a-porch-building, so keep me in your prayers.

Over and out,
Old Coot

2 comments:

Abbey said...

Thanks for the Charminny giggles! And I see your transparent spider and caterpillar and raise you a big-ass spider! (As per me blog)

Todd said...

I guess your spider was bigger than my measly caterpillar, but the caterpillar was way grosser.

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre