Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Devil-Day Update

Today is June 6th, 2006 (6/6/06) so be careful what you do. That's all I'm gonna say about that. What I am gonna say is that I wrote an awesome post yesterday only to have it lost in the ether somewhere. I stopped writing my blogs in MS Word and then pasting them because Blogspot seemed to be failproof. I had the whole thing finished yesterday, was proofreading it, went to lunch, came back and the freaking thing was gone! BALLS!

I'll summarize yesterday's post, but you won't get the links to pictures of pterodactyls or descriptions of "the new chick" who ran with us Sunday. Okay, I did put in the link. Here's what I did on Sunday:

  • Ran in Richmond with a few people. It's such a nice run, dirt roads through a ruralesque area. The air raid siren at 9:00 set off the dogs at the Beagle Farm (seriously, it's a farm for beagles) and it sounded like a pterodactyl attack.
  • Used the rain-free day to mow the lawn and whack the weeds. Damn my lawn is nice.
  • Set to work on the second of two porch footing holes.
  • Finished the second porch footing hole in 45 minutes, slightly faster than the 3 days the first one took.
  • Got smoked in the head by my 45-pound digging bar - that really, REALLY hurt. I managed to not swear.
  • Ate some lupper (lunch/supper).
  • Test-drove some kayaks, now I want one really badly. I'm gonna test drive a few more when they have the next demo day, then I will buy one.
  • Chatted with the folks, my dad's sick again. Kids: smoking is bad for you!

So there you have it.

Last night I went to the Red Cross for a good old-fashioned blood donation. Actually, it's new-fashioned because they have some fancy new techonology almost every time I go. I think I set a personal best with 5 minutes between the time she tapped that "juicy vein" (as she called it) and I finished with my pint. Damn, I should have stayed for another at that rate. A few freshly made cookies and some shortbread later and I was good to go.

When I got home, I had my new bike toys waiting for me. Instead of eating dinner, I installed my new pedals and tires (or tyres as you wacky Brits call them), adjusted my brakes practiced clipping and unclipping into/out of the pedals. I'm a little nervous about clipless pedals because you are ATTACHED to the bike. I'm deathly afraid of breaking my shoulder or arm or neck. Once you get used to them, I guess they're a breeze but there is a definite learning phase.

I also tried on my new cycling shorts. I hate to say it, but I think they're too loose. Is it possible for cycling shorts to be too loose? Historically, they aren't known for their baggy fit. Plus these fit like "mom-pants", halfway up my torso. I think that's so you don't sport plumber's crack while you're riding, but they looked goofy when I first put them on. Today will be the maiden voyage for my new gear, how exciting!

Since I gave blood yesterday, I didn't want to push it by riding my bike or running, so I went for an afterdinner stroll (I eventually ate a sandwich). It was fairly uneventful save the rottweiller who took a fancy to me. He was in a fenced-in yard, but could have easily hopped the fence and eaten me. After that, I kept my eyes peeled for an escape route should I encounter any more dogs.

I hate dogs! Maybe once I take up kayaking I can relax; I doubt there are a lot of loose dogs in the lakes around here.

After my walk, I sat down with some ice cream and watched "The New Adventures of Old Christine", starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus ("Elaine" from Seinfeld). That show is really pretty good and I'm not ashamed to say it. I think Julia has broken the Seinfeld curse and has landed herself a successful role in a sitcom.

Well folks, that's all I have for you today. I'll let you know what happened with the ride tonight so you can enjoy the out-of-doors through me.

Over and Out,

Old Coot


No comments:

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre