Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Woooo, yesss! Today is Tuesday. Uuhhhnnnn! Boo-yeah!

Okay, that's all I have to say about that. I'm not that excited for Tuesday, I just thought that might help me get into the blogging mood. Work was pretty boring today, not much accomplished again. I did clear up some problems with some cables I designed but other than that it's been slow going. Actually, the cable thing was better than it sounds. It turned out that the problems weren't my fault this time. I did everything right, the guy who made up the build kit screwed up the parts. Yess! Score one for the Cootster! I mean, how do you accidentally put a backshell for a MS27467T21F35P connector in the box when you really need a MS27467T19F35P? They're so obviously different!

I finally broke down and ordered myself a bike stand. It lists for about $110, but I found it new-in-box from someone on Amazon for $80 (plus shipping). Killer! Once I get it, I'll be able to spend more money on specialty tools to fix/maintain my bike. As you might imagine, bikes require all different tools from your traditional set of tools. I have lots of regular stuff, but now I get to invest tens, even hundreds of dollars on more stuff. Yippee! Fortunately, I think it's the kind of stuff you buy once and use forever, so it's not too bad. And I can thank Uncle Sam for the free money I got at work for doing a damn fine job the other year, it's all going to toys!

Today was supposed to be the first day of real mountainbiking. I was all amped up about hitting the trails, getting a little dirty, maybe even breaking a sweat. However, it looks like we have some decent rain coming our way and the ride might be on hold. Damn! I'm not afraid of mud, but riding muddy trails beats the hell out of them, and I'm not one for destroying the trails I love so much. Plus I don't have a roof rack yet and the bike would have to go in the back of my car. No thanks you, mud.

Last night I started getting my basement in order. I have the two old kitchen cabinets that I wanted to hang on the walls, presumably to store tools. The cabinets were a little beat, so I tore the back off of one and replaced the glorified cardboard backing with plywood. Next I made up a mounting bracket to hang it on the wall. It would have been extra sweet had my masonry bit (for drilling holes in concrete) not died. That brought the project to a screeching halt. I figure today I might get a new bit and finish that li'l project up. The second cabinet is going to get pegboard in the back. That way I can hang stuff inside the cabinet to keep it out of the way and out of the dust. I'm thinking I can hang my screwdrivers, wrenches, etc in there. Oooo-weeee.

Also, I think I'm gonna whip up a batch of chili. Before any of you get any crazy ideas about stopping over and eating up the fruits of my kitchen I feel I should warn you that I'm going to be using tofu in it. And I'm gonna crumble the tofu real small so you can't pick it out, just like mom used to do with mushrooms. My red-meat-free stretch is still going, minus the one day I ate a couple of ribs at the 'COW ranch. For the record, I haven't quit eating red meat, I just don't eat it willy-nilly like I used to. When I quit something, I QUIT. Red meat is merely another one of my lifestyle changes.

Well, I'll see how the rain treats me and if I can't ride my bike I may have to go for a nice long spring-rain-run. My folks finally got my road shoes to me and I'm itching to get them out into action. I hope the rain at least hold off long enough for me to get home from work.

Over and out,
Old Coot

7 comments:

Abbey said...

Ribs are usually pork. The other red meat.

Todd said...

Usually, I agree that ribs are pork. However, in this case they were beef. What a scandal - what a scandal.

Abbey said...

If ribs aren't made from pork, they're not worth putting in my mouth. Therefore, I deny the existence of beef ribs. I know them only as "meat clinging to the bones that protect the bovine chest cavity."

Anonymous said...

There goes the neighborhood... send me tacos punk! Overnight that shit... and wrap it in a chicago-style pizza while your at it. You still homeless?

And by the way, Todd had no problem with the "meat clinging to the bovinal cavity" the other weekend. So unless you're gonna try to compare with some of those kung-pao spare ribs (Todd can give you my mailing address - really, overnight those too), you don't know what you're missing. I like my pig. But I like my cow too. I'm an Equal Opportunity Meat-Eater - no animal prejudice here.

Todd said...

HECOW didn't care for the special meat in my chili today. Once I divulged that the nasty material wasn't turkey, it bacame obvious that it was tofu. I tried to cook it in something colorful so it wouldn't be white, but to no avail. It looked like grey clumps mixed with beans.

Mmm MMMMM bitch.

Anonymous said...

Tofu... The other white meat. My ass it is... that shit looks like it was growing under a park bench.

Todd said...

Just because you can't see the deliciousness in a block of white rubber, doesn't mean it's nasty. Tofu is so, so, so sodelicious.

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre