Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hump Day = Slump Day

Good afternoon faithful readers. Sorry to be getting to my post so late, but I finally got a bunch of people off my back. Well, they've at least slid down my back and now their feet in my ass. Either way, I can walk around freely and I don't have to hide in my cube, silently counting the minutes until I can leave.

This wonderful day has been fraught (sp?) with unlucky vibes. I rode my bike in this morning, and when I rolled into the parking lot I noticed something unsettling; there were no other bikes on the rack. Normally there are a few, even on the coldest days. Today, there were none. Even the motorcycle section was vacant. Hmm, shudda checked the weather a little more closely.

Meh, I was over that in a hurry. Worst case scenario is I would have to ride home in the rain. Not that big of a deal. But when I sat down at my desk and began reading my e-mail, I was greeted with the gravity of the Grim Reaper, literally. Sorry for the alliteration. Without going into a lot of detail, one of the guys in my department has been really sick for a while now and passed away last night at home. It was probably somewhat expected, but certainly not imminent. He was a wicked nice guy and it really got to me. Despite my claims to be non-religious, my prayers will be with his family tonight.

Maybe it's the two consecutive days of crummy weather, or the cool wake of the Grim Reaper, but I have been really bummed out the last few days. I'm going to put my money on the former, since I was riding high over the weekend and into Monday (high on sunshine). Usually, it's the winter that really gets me down, but this year I survived the winter unscathed, only to have my mood ride the waves of cloud cover. Perhaps a good long run or a bike ride tonight will soothe my achy aura.

Even on the worst days, I like to cheer myself up by taking stock in what I have, and not dwelling on what I don't have. It may be raining, but I work indoors and have a roof over my head at home. I have a home. I may have to ride my bike home from work in the rain, but I have a job and I am able-bodied enough to ride a bike. I have food in my belly and even more in the fridge.

Well, I'd like to say that I have something positive to offer today. I did receive an award at work the other day that I will surely spend on my biking needs. I have my eye on a rack for the car and that should just about exhaust it. I had a few extra dollars earmarked for a bike and/or some bike tools, so I'll probably get to that stuff too.

The best thing I've done in terms of saving up for things was to set up special funds in an online account. Money comes out of my main checking account and every once in a while I look to see what it amounts to. Currently, it's a lot. Much more than I would have if I had relied on myself to save money, that's for damn sure. And I have a separate account for: Toys, Christmas, Taxes, and "Something Special". The "Something Special" is somewhat of a TBD. I don't know what it's for yet, but someday an opportunity will present itself and I'll be able to spend it.

If anyone is interested in opening an ING account, let me know. I get a bonus for referring ($10), and you get more of a bonus for being referred ($25). It's a win-win for both of us!

Well, it's time for me to bid you all adieu. I'll holler at y'all later.

Over and out,
Old Coot

No comments:

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre