Saturday, July 22, 2006

Matty's Run and Pancakes

It's Saturday, and it's raining. It's been hot and muggy all week here, so this water is a welcome change, hopefully reducing the humidity. It's also very welcome in my lawn. I gave one of the drier sections a good watering yesterday; immediately followed by rain. I worked hard to get a nice green lawn, and this summer has been hard on it. First there was too much rain so I couldn't mow it. Then there hasn't been much rain at all, so it doesn't recover from the occasional "scalping". I'm not too good with the weedwacker on the driveway wall, and I keep burning circles into it by cutting too short. However, it's my learning lawn at my learning house, so I'm not overly worried.

Last night was the 15th annual Matty's Run at BCC. It's a charity race in memory of Maurice Matteodo (someone I have never met, obviously), with the proceeds going to various Berkshire charities. They describe it as a "true cross country race", complete with fences to hop, hills, fields, a couple rivers to ford (seriously) and then "regular" trails. They claim it's a 5k (3.1 miles), but from what I understand it's closer to 3.5 miles, maybe more.

I started out pacing myself with one of the guys from the Thursday Night Run. He's faster than I am, so I figured I'd keep up with him just to get a feel for what my own pace should be, then adjust accordingly. And when I adjusted accordingly, I really just upgraded the scenery from the rear view of a dude to that of the CPG. I ran with her for most of the rest of the race until then end when I reached for the nitrous button. BAM, I powered up the last hill, around the final loop through the field and across the finish line. Some punk kid who I had passed on a hill overtook me on the downhill (my weakness, I guess). And by 'punk', I mean he's younger than I am and apparently faster. Punk.

Not that I race to win, but it would be nice to be somewhere near the top. While I finished 32nd of almost 200, I was only 7th (or so) in my age group. As you might imagine, the 20-29 year-old mens group tends to finish towards the top. In a couple years I'll be at the low end of the 30's group, so I suppose I have that to look forward to.

I just saw in the paper that a father and his two daughters CLEANED UP the races, each winning his/her respective category. The father was the overall winner, finishing in something crazy like 20:xx, the asswipe. I'm almost positive that one, if not both, of his daughters (ages 12 and 15) also beat me. Asswipes!

Enough of that.

With the rain today, I think I can finally get around to cleaning the house, a task I've been ignoring most of the week. I opened up the spare bedroom downstairs the other day to get some use out of it for once. The couch in there is perfect for pretending to read while I really just nap. I need to tidy it up a little before next weekend when the fam comes to town, since the couch is a foldout and will be someone's bed. For a long time, that room has been a place to put stuff I don't have anywhere else to put. Now, I think it's time to just get rid of most of it.

Oh, I just bought a new electric skillet with the sole intention of using it to cook pancakes. Oh, man is it sweet. I overcooked my pancakes a little this time, but I'm learning a new tool. It's nice to have them all come off at the same time instead of standing in the kitchen eating one while I tend to the next. Unfortunately, this luxury allowed me to eat at my computer and read my sister's blog which had a funny picture on it. I almost choked to death on my whole wheat chocolate chip pancake. I don't know where she gets it from, but that girl is straight buck nutty. I might almost go so far as to say she's off the heezie. Almost. She's probably on the heezie precipice.

Heh heh, how's that for a white guy misusing gangster rap phrases (heezie)? You'll never catch Snoop saying anything close to "heezie precipice". I'm so white. As a matter of fact, below is an example of someone more ganster, thuggish and ruggish than I am...

Copper

Yup, that's my mother's cat sitting on the dining room table on Christmas. I'm less gangster than that.

Well, I'm through procrastinating; it's time to get to work. I'll holler at y'all later.

Over and Out,
Old Coot

2 comments:

Abbey said...

Thanks for the heezine props! Coming from you that's a mad crazy compliment, straight up. No doubt yo. Original Gaijin Crew represent, son.

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre