Friday, February 24, 2006

What's yo hat sayin?

I'm not one to be up on technology. I'm the guy waiting for that new-new shit to come out so I can buy the old-old shit offa someone else at a disCOUNT. This time, I bought myself the older model of a digital camera to replace the one I had before. My old camera decided it was only going to take 2-3 pictures per charge of the batteries, if that. I called for help before I trashed the old camera. Here's a transcript of my conversation with the good people at HP technical support...

Tech Dude (TD): Hi, thank you for calling HP tech support. How can I help you?
Me: Hey man, what's up? Yeah, I have the M305 camera with the docking station. It doesn't seem to be taking a charge though. It either freezes up on me or if I'm lucky, it'll take 2-3 pictures then freeze up.
TD: Have you tried recharging the batteries?
Me (in my head): Oh shit! You have to charge them too? My bad.
Me (for real): Yeah, I left them on the charger overnight. The camera doesn't recognize the batteries. I even charged them in another charger. Then I tried regular alkalines in it and it still doesn't work.
TD: What I'm going to do is have you reformat the camera (then tells me how to do it).
Me: Yeah, I tried that too. Didn't work. I was thinking maybe it had something to do the latest firmware upgrade. It was right around the time I upgraded it that it stopped working.
TD (sensing maybe I'm not an idiot): Oh, hmm. There's a firmware upgrade that corrects some of the power issues.
Me (sensing he's not listening to my whole response): Yeah, I just updated it. I put in v1.7.
TD (he's locked on to the word firmware and he's not letting go): Okay, I'm going to have you try to upgrade the firmware. You can check it online, if you don't have v1.7 you'll have to upgrade it. That should solve your problem. Anything else I can help you with?
Me: Yeah, I just told you that I upgraded it to v1.7, even the camera's help menu says it has 1.7 installed.
TD: Oh. That didn't work?
Me: No, that's why I'm calling.
TD: You can send it in for service, but it's probably going to run you about $75 plus shipping. That's our flat rate for service.
Me: Uhh, hmm. I don't think I'm going to do that.
TD: No, I'd just get a new camera if I were you.
Me: Okay, well thanks for helping.
TD: Is there anything I can help you with today?

He didn't even help me with the one problem I had. I'll tell you what, there was no way I was going to buy another HP if the service guy tells me they can't fix my firmware problem and I have to buy a new camera.

Anyways, I bought myself a new camera about a week ago. I got the same one my sister has, she's been raving about it. I even went out and bought the highest capacity batteries I could find so they'd last as long as possible. I'm talking Nickel Metal Hydride 2500mAH jobbers. What WHAT!?!

After the first charge, they lasted a few days which included a lot of pictures, a few movies, uploading to the PC, etc. It seemed quick, but I was okay with it. Another overnight charge and I was back in business.

Last night I busted out the A-camera to snap some hot photos at my friend's house. I even shot a little 10 second video to play around with that. The next thing I know it's telling me to replace the batteries, then it shuts off. What the fuck? I took all of 10 pictures and one short video (on the lowest resolution, mind you) before the effin batteries died. I threw them back in the charger last night and the fuckers better work TO-DAY!

BUT, today is Friday. I just got paid. I'm bout to do my taxes this weekend (and subsequently get me some dividayunds). Plus I think I might treat myself to a new hat. Now that my head isn't as rotund as it once was, I can sport hats. I thought about a nice Red Sox hat, not because I'm a fan (I hate baseball) or because that's what all the rap stars are wearing these day (they're not), but because it would be my quiet way of mocking the Yankees fans at work.

Or maybe a nice mesh/foam one with some catchy saying on it. Plus urrtime I leave the house I can think to myself "Boy, throw a hat on that weave".


Back to building bombs for WWIII,
Old Coot

1 comment:

Abbey said...

I like photo 4 in the Nappy Time set. A new camera and your infatuation with yourself are a deadly combo!

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre