Thursday, February 16, 2006

Get yo ass off the wall, with yo two left feet.

He he, that has nothing to do with today's entry, I just like that line. It's funny to say, but I don't really subscribe to it. Consider my ass firmly planted on the wall.

Yesterday was GORGEOUS I tell you, gorgeous. I left work a little early to try and catch some sunshine in a late afternoon/early evening power run. I even treated myself to a new shirt. There's something about a new running shirt to really push you to the limits. I swung by Walfart directly after work, grabbed a white shirt (for nighttime visibility) and some assorted PowerBars. I get up to the cashier (strangely, there was no line) and the girl starts scanning my stuff.

As she scans the first PowerBar, she feels the need to comment on my purchases with "Eww, how can you eat these things?" Now I'm thinking, if she was good looking I might play back with her, but she was busted and I was in somewhat of a hurry. "Yeah, they're a little chewy but I love them" I replied, making it obvious that I wasn't going to play along.

As she attempts to scan my shirt, which is a poor man's version of UnderArmour (made by Starter) she feels the need to comment with "Oh, UnderArmour. What's this supposed to protect against?" To which I replied, "It keeps you dry, not safe." Ignoring that, she retorts "I don't think it would keep me from getting hurt. You see, I play football with my little brother." Me thinks to me self "Super. Wanna scan my shit so I can get going?" Not missing a beat, she continued to tell me how she always wins except for when he tackles her. For the record I think she said he was all of about 8 years old. This girl was probably around 17, pushing a deuce and a half so if an 8-year-old could wrangle her ass to the ground, her clothing isn't the problem, her weakness is.

I paid for my wares and hit the road. I set out some chicken at home, pounded some water and hit the bricks. With the weather as nice as it was yesterday (approx 54 degrees F), I felt obligated to kick back a "Half Mary", AKA half of a marathon. To the lay person, that's roughly 13 miles. I plotted out a route on Map24 and found me a nice route approximately 13.2 miles. The catch was that it took me over two gigundous hills; the first around mile 5 and the other around mile 8. For those of you unfamiliar with running hills (hiking is about the same), going uphill sucks but going downhill sucks worse.

It was the second hill where I began to get these shooting blasts of numbness down my right arm. First thought: HEART TROUBLE! Then I realized that heart problems give you shooting pain down the left arm, not numbness down the right. I figured it had something to do with the iPod I was carrying so I switched hands and pressed on. By the bottom of the hill it was obvious that the numbness wasn't going to go away, so I took it easy for a few hundred yards and shook it out real good, to no avail. "Fuck it, I'm almost home", which I wasn't. I had about 3+ miles left and it was starting to get cold (which also happened to be as I passed a Burger King, where they were apparently making a mega load of delicious fries).

All in all, it was a good run. I felt good the whole way (minus the numbness, sore big toe, rapid air temp drop, BK fry tease, etc) and treated myself to a delicious bowl of cereal and some chips when I got home. Then off to dinner, some quality TV and beddy bye time.

Hmm, just got an e-mail about a group run tonight. Perhaps I should go (stroking my power 'tee). Ideally I should rest tonight, but I like running with other people so I think it'll have to be a gametime decision.

Welp, that's all I have to say about that. End of entry ........... NOW!

Just scan my shit and shut the eff up.
-Old Coot

2 comments:

Mike said...

Just checking in for the first time.. thanks for teaching me how to say "Booyah!" in Spanish. That'll get used. You'll just have to let me know how it's pronounced. Welcome to the wonderful world of Blogger!

Todd said...

Placatan (sp?) is used much like "Dominos Mothafucka" was used in that Snoop video of yore. When you make a big hit in Madden '06 )or '93 for Sega which is the newest one I've got) you slam the controller to the floor and yell "PLACATAN", with emphasis on the "TAN" portion. I'll pronounce it fo ya at lunch.

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre