Monday, January 28, 2008

The Last Third of the Weekend

Well, it's Monday again and it's a long week for us here in the old Powerpoint factory. Burned by the way I was treated after giving up my entire Saturday last weekend, I worked none of this past weekend including our Friday off. That was my first full weekend off in a long time, and it was killer. You already heard about my Friday and Saturday, but here are some eggstra tidbits for ya.


Hawthorne, not Hawthorne

You may recall that I had some trouble with shin splints last week. On Saturday I test drove the ol' legs and was happy to report that they seemed to be back in action. Yesterday after other plans fell through due to nice weather (is that possible?) I planned a nice 10k run in Lenox. The guy I was meeting up with wanted to keep it to no more than 10k, and I didn't want to risk re-injuring the leg so that was perfect.

We met up, and started in on the route, quickly ignoring the cold wind settling into a nice, conversational pace. I had taken a look at the route on a map right before leaving, and set my GPS watch to alert us if we went off course. Somehow we ended up missing a turn, adding almost 5 miles to the route. Allow me to explain...

When I read the map, I made mental notes like "Take this road to the end and turn right" and "Stick to the main road at this fork". What my mental notes failed to capture is that the Town of Lenox had a very limited budget for naming streets, so they stuck to about 5 names and just reused them. Around mile 5 we missed the turn from Hawthorne onto Hawthorne and ended up going about 2-2.5 miles too far on the wrong Hawthorne. To my chagrin, we had to doubling back. Confusing? Yeah, it is that confusing.



Don't let the name on the map confuse you, it's not called W Hawthorne in real life. Once I was on Hawthorne I knew I would just keep going until I hit the end, which was in fact true, had I known I wasn't already on it. Either way, the run turned from 6ish miles to almost 12; not a good idea on a questionable leg.


Mom's Airhorn

Saturday night I was chatting with my mother, who was telling me about all the things she got done that day. There were errands, laundry, arrangements for things, etc. Then she said something that sounded like "I got some more airhorns". In my mind, I pictured her putting away the last bit of laundry, pulling and airhorn from her pocket and yelling "LAUNDRY'S DONE! Piaaarrrooooowwwwwnnnttttt". With that image firmly in place in my head, I was happy with my understanding.

Well, she continued on about how they really do work and that she hasn't been sick since she started taking them. "Oh, AirBorne?" I asked. To my disappointment, she said yes.

That's too bad; there's nothing funny about AirBorne.


Okay, there you have it. Peace out homies.

Over and Out,
Old Coot

No comments:

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre