Friday, February 01, 2008

Can I Please Go Out and Play?

Alright folks, here's my problem. As I'm sure you recall I was injured last week and couldn't run. Then, once recovered, I went out and overdid it on Sunday but in a good way. The next thing I know, I have a cold. What you need to know folks, is that I don't get sick so I refused to let this get me down. It got me anyway.


Down for the Count

Monday night I was feeling a little chilled but it was manageable. I had a slight scratchiness to my throat but otherwise was symptom free. Tuesday was slightly worst, but the sore throat was akin to something you'd have after a good loud argument or a riotous softball game. I went to bed early in the hopes that I'd just sleep it off, but at 3:30 in the morning I found myself still awake, watching the minutes tick by.

I figured I'd have to take the day off from work because no matter how I felt, I was bound to be tired at 6:00 AM so I dialed up ye olde managere and told him I wouldn't be in. By about 4:30 I was finally able to sleep in the recliner until I was rudely awakened by my alarm clock upstairs at 6:00. Sonofabitch!

Off I traipsed to shut that damn thing up, whereupon I collapsed onto the bed fully clothed to sleep until the morning. Hmm, that humidifier worked some magic.

My Wednesday off consisted of napping and brief periods of reading. I've been working on Stephen King's The Stand, the unabridged version. First of all, it's about a superflu and is not something you should be reading when you potentially have the flu. Second of all, the damn thing is like 1100 pages long. I'm over 500 pages deep at this point and I've barely made a dent in that epic tome.

Editor's Note: Despite it's length and untimely reading, The Stand is a freaking great book.


But Anyway

So what the hell do you care? Not much at all. The reason I'm telling you all of this is because while I've been sick I've been stuck in the freaking house. I can feel myself getting slower, weaker and fatter by the second. I've been doing a core workout I found in this month's Bicycling magazine, but there isn't much in the way of a cardiovascular workout there. What I really want is to get back out and run.

Well, last night I attended my Thursday Night Run and it felt great. Yeah, I was a little sore at the end but I felt good, fresh and raring to go. My watch and headlamp both died, with the former causing a good deal of uneasiness on the unplowed dirt roads of Dalton. I thought for sure I'd be recovering from a sprained ankle this morning, but I made it through unscathed. Can I keep going outside to play now?





Over and Out,
Old Coot

1 comment:

Melissa said...

What? No mention of cats?

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre