Thursday, August 09, 2007

Japan Trip - Vol IV

Okay, I apologize if you're tired of hearing about my vacation but this is my way of documenting it for posterity. Plus, when Sofia Coppola decides she wants to make a movie of my life I'll be able to help fill her in on the finer details. But at any rate this is my freaking blog so I'll write whatever I damn well please.


Taisho Village

Once again, my recollection of the day's activities is courtesy of my sister's memory and an e-mail from her describing such recollections. On Tuesday (of vacation week, not this week) we went to Nihon Taishomura (Japan Taisho Village) in Akechi (part of Ena). That will be on the quiz, so write it down.

If I can separate that day from the others, I remember that we went around to a number of historical buildings and museums (musea?). Right off the bat, I spotted this dude getting ready to catch himself some bait. What were these guys fishing for in those little streams?



As usual, I encourage you to look at the pictures full size (click on them) to really appreciate what I was trying to capture. The little pictures don't do them justice.


Media Museum

In all honesty, this museum wasn't all about media, but it had a floor dedicated to old newspapers (which I couldn't read) and one dedicated to old record players (Victrolas?). Like most places, you had to take off your shoes upon entering. Conveniently they had guest slippers, which are akin to bowling shoes in America: loud and ugly as sin. What made them even more attractive to me is that they're sized for Japanese feet, not my 350 Big Block hooves. If you look closely you can see that they only go about halfway back on my feet.



I was particularly enamored with the old record players. I took a lot of pictures of them and the media they played; below is one such cool player. Unlike a CD, you can see the ones and zeros on this bad boy...




Thirsty?

Imagine this scenario: You're out in the sun all day, busting your hump at some sort of physical activity. Maybe you're working construction, maybe you're pulling a rickshaw, or maybe in the pursuit of a Hollywood Style body you're just exercising for the sake of vanity. Whatever the reason, you're working up a sweat that is depleting your body of precious fluids and even more precious electrolytes.

"I'm soooo thirsty" you think to yourself. Do you reach out and grab a cool, refreshing glass of water? Hell no, there ain't no electrolytes in that crap. No, nothing gives your body more of what it needs than a tall, chilled bottle of



Believe it or not, that's my hand holding the bottle. I not only held a bottle, I also purchased it and proceeded to consume it. It's no Lemon/Lime Gatorade, but it's not that bad. My sister and I decided that the term Pocari would forever be used in the context of working up a wicked sweat, or a Pocari Sweat.

The real questions are: What is a Pocari? How do you harvest its sweat? Squeegee it's back or ring out its fur? What does a Pocari drink? Aaaaaannnnnd discuss.


Now I'm Hungry

At the end of the day, I may have sucked down enough Pocari back sweat to drown a horse, but I have a hunger that won't quit. I could really go for a



Note that the name brand here is "Tasty Sandwich". Is that like a Tastykake®?


Over and Out,
Old Coot

No comments:

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre