Saturday, March 18, 2006

Trip to Sis's Part I

Good morning all y’all readers out there in Readerland. For those of you who don’t know, I’m vacationing it up in sunny New York State. We’re expecting a sweltering 40 degree (F) today, so I’m pretty psyched. I made the grand journey down to my sister’s house for the weekend, to cram in as much sibling-time as possible before she heads off to sunny Japan for the next year(s). And by sibling-time, I mean I’m sitting on the fold-out couch with the cats, filling all of my readers in on the excitement that is my life, and she’s doing laundry. Ahh, the life of a grownup.

Yesterday I showed up at her school to hang with her 7th and 8th period classes. It’s safe to assume they’d heard of me, and I felt like somewhat of a celebrity. Not that anyone asked me any questions or for my autograph, but you know what I’m saying. Since it was her last day of work there, they had a little surprise party after school for her, and it was really neat to see that not only will the other teachers miss her, but the room was jam packed with students who genuinely cared. They had brought her presents, made scrap books for her and so on; it was really neat to see that she was the “cool teacher”. We all had one in highschool, and my sister was that one for a great many students (tear).

After school, we hit up Houlihan’s for some food and drink. I ordered my usual water with lemon and coffee. The waiter looked at me like there was something wrong with me. I guess I was ordering water and coffee on St. Patty’s Day, but the real confusion was the way I ordered it. It came across as water with lemon and coffee, as in one glass of water, flavored with lemon and coffee. I straightened that out with the promptness and all was good.

Dinner was fun, plus we had an upstairs table with a hot bird’s-eye view of the drunken fools at the bar. Suh-weet! I won’t bore you with all the details, but there was one guy in particular who needs mentioning. First of all, the only way to describe his shirt is by saying he stores it in a thimble and unfolds it immediately before going out. This thing had wrinkles on other wrinkles, and he didn’t seem to even care. I watched him talking to the shot girls (with those test tubes full of KoolAid), and without really knowing what they were saying I was able to deduce that he was trying to only buy one if they’d do one with him. They would respond (with cute pouty face) that they were not allowed to, and he would send them packing. Finally he bummed $2 off his buddy and bought one for himself. Lahoo-zaherr!

After din-din, I had to follow my sister back to her place. She gave me the basic rundown of how to get there, but I was just going to follow. [Enter Crazy New Jersey Driving, Stage Left] We were IMMEDIATELY separated, I dialed her up on the phone and we came up with a meeting place, but I could NOT manage to get there. The sign I was trying to find was standard road sign green, with a thin outline of whatever the symbol was, and the symbol itself was green. Then to make matters worse, they put it at about 6’ off the ground. Combine that with the madness that was the traffic (I have never driven in traffic like that in my life) and I was fit to be tied.

Finally we were able to meet up and I just kept repeating to myself “Just gotta make it to her house. Just gotta make it to her house…” And I did. We bullshat for a few hours then we were both passing the eff out around 9:30. Yup, I was in bed by 10:00 on St. Patty’s Day of all days. I am old! I am a loser! Check.

Well, it’s still early today. We’ve had breakfast and laundry is in the works. A trip to Target is in order; after that who knows what we’ll do.

I hope your day includes a trip to Target,
Old Coot

No comments:

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre