Thursday, November 02, 2006

Comedy and Errors

Hey errebody, I got a special treat for y'all today. You'll have to read on to get the tender comedy morsels but I find it to be worth every penny. It's actually a free video, so you don't have to read it and you don't have to pay for it. Win-win for all you cheap, illiterate sumbitches.


And It's All Free

I'd just like to give a shoutout to YouTube for providing the world with videos as far as the eye can see, sometimes further depending on cloud cover. The price is right, and if you're willing to do some searching you can find anything. In my case, I let other people do the searching and then send me links. An example of such a video can be found below. If you're at work or in a church, I recommend wearing headphones. Bob Sagat is a ill muthafucka, yo.




Living Our Lives for Another Day

Yesterday I ducked out of work a little earlier than I wanted because I had to hook up some propane for the new A-grill. I've been driving around with two empty tanks in the A-ride and the propane place closes at 4:00. Yesterday was gorgeous, so I dipped out and took care of bidness.

Historically I haven't done a lot of grilling, but I've also never had a big ass propane grill before either. Not wanting to run out, I filled two tanks so I'd have a reserve.

When I got home I lubed up the grates with Crisco, fired up the 5 individual burners and just let it get to cooking. About 45 minutes later I tossed some sausages on there to add to the ground beef in what was to become sauce for lasagna. Mmm mmm bitch!

Let me tell you, lasagna has to have the longest prep time of any meal I cook. When all was said and done I spent close to 3 hours making a matching pair of lasagnas. Granted, I simmered the sauce for 45 minutes while I showered and I let all the ingredients mingle after assembling the pan, but still. Oh, and the cheese grater I own is more like a cheese grater keychain. Grating two blocks of mozzarella cheese took FOREVER.

By the time it came out of the oven I had already filled up on leftover pasta scraps and Halloween candy. Now I have a 9x13 pan of lasagna to finish before it spoils. On the up side, I have another one in the freezer for a rainy day. I won't be complaining about the eggstra effort then!


Everything in Moderation

Everyone knows that you burn calories when you exercise (A). Everyone also knows that sugar has lots of calories (B). If (A) is true and (B) is true, then it should also hold true that more (B) allows for more (A). Attempting to apply this theory to my personal fitness routine (running), I ate a shitload of candy yesterday and then went running.

As it turned out, the simple sugars did not hold out long enough and I hit a real dip in my blood sugar early on. The run was scheduled for roughly 8 miles but had to be cut short, to around 5.25. BALLS!

After my efforts at the track the previous night, it was probably a good thing to stop short but I also had some demons I was trying to exorcise and they were going to take as many miles as I could throw at them.


Now Accepting Donations

And speaking of everything in moderation, I am considering expanding my activity repertoire to include rowing. I've been talking to a guy about rowing machines and one of the good ones out there lets you track all sorts of data about your efforts. You can even - through the magic of the futureweb - connect up with others and race, all in the comfort of your own basement/garage/spare bedroom. I have been looking for something I can do a few times a week to get an upperbody workout (that doesn't include lifting weights), and rowing seems to fit the bill.

The issue I have with this is that I've never actually rowed before and it's a substantial investment for an activity I might not enjoy. The best way to mitigate any risk is to ask my readers to send me donations in the form of cold hard cash ($50 each should get me started) and rowing machines (Concept 2 is the brand name, I'd prefer the best one but can suffer with the next one down).


So that's all I have to say about that. I hope you guys can find it in your hearts to send me some cash and rowing machines. I promise to tell you all about it in great detail.

Over and Out,
Old Coot

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a shame YouTube got bought by Google. Kind of defeats the purpose of competition. And makes YouTube a sellout. But I still enjoy what videos are left on there.

My Word Verification is "wreufgfr"
Translation: "You figgafer!"

Todd said...

Word. We all hate on sellouts but if someone walked up to me with a huge ass sack of cash, I would probably sell out in a second.

Not that I have anything to sell out about, but you know what I'm saying.

Word Verification: xanlot
Translation: Xanlot, where Tomax and Xamot stayed at during the Dark Ages.

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre