Thursday, July 19, 2007

Packing, Re-Packing and Three-Packing

As you now know, tomorrow is the big day when I take my big boy self to the airport and cruise the friendly skies for Chicago. After a rest, I cruise the friendlier Pacific skies for Japan. Before that, I have to pack, repack and threepack.


Pack

It started out as a harmless job: placing clothes in a suitcase. I knew I was going to need multiple suitcases if I was going to get back with goodies, but I still applied my normal packing technique to the job.

Checked suitcase: Dress clothes, underwear, shoes, other stuff.
Carry-on: Stuff you want to be sure you have when you get there. This includes toiletry bag, running gear, food.
Backpack: Stuff you can't live without on the plane. This includes food, magazines, book, music (and associated music accessories), cards, camera, chargers galore, and whatever didn't fit in the other bags (always a mistake).

I got the carry-on bag all set and figured I'd save the main packing for the next day when everything was out of the laundry.


Re-Packing

Well, my basic plan is based on the premise that my luggage will be lost and I'll have to live on the carry-on equipment, hence putting all of my running gear in there. However, I have an overnight layover in Chi-town and I won't be sitting on a plane in a sleeveless technical shirt and little tiny race shorts; that would just be chilly. So I had to reorganize my whole scheme, moving travel wear into the carry-on and some running gear into checked bag.


Three-Packing

Well, with most of the clothes packed it became evident that I had ignored footwear. Like a woman, I need about 5 pair of shoes when I travel. Crocs (which I'll be wearing during travel), Crocs flip-flops (cuz those Japanese make you wear them in their houses), dress shoes (in case we go somewhere decent), running shoes (for running), "daily drivers" (sneakers for just walking around in. I'm thinking the daily drivers might not make the trip. Crocs are pretty freaking comfy, I can probably get by with those.

Plus, I have a few items my sister requested that I bring. Your basic Bag Balm and Jiffy Corn Bread mix. You know, the basics. Those will be replaced by goodies from the Orient in my return trip.

Tonight I shall finalize the thrice packed luggage to see where I can make some improvements and what I can cut. Most importantly, the backpack will be reserved for ONLY things I'll be needing during my travels. None of that digging through toiletries to get to a pen. Basically I'll have reading material, iPod, kickass headphones and food.




Hopefully I can get that nonsense taken care of quickly so I have an evening to chill. Plus I have my Thursday Night Run that I would rather not miss. Wish me luck.


Over and Out,
Old Coot

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget hand sanitizer - can never have enough of that crap on flights. Especially flights across the globe.

Abbey said...

Good point on the sanitizer. Those airplane bathrooms give me the chills.
And for the record, you can't wear ANY shoes in people's houses. Unless they're of the slipper variety, of course.

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre