Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Salt Crust, in the Corner of my Eyes.

Dag nabbit! I hope the last post I wrote actually makes it onto my blog. My guess is that it's sitting in the browser on my PC at work. That's what I get for proof-reading that puppy before sending it out. Anyway, here's another posting for you patient folks.

Today was yet another long day of trying to get our damn equipment at work functioning. What sucks is that I keep feeling like I'm holding up everyone else because we take one step forward then have to stop working for two days while I track down the problem and come up with the solution. It's satisfying to be able to fix stuff, but it's still a pain. The up side is that so far I've been able to fix everything. I don't mean to make it sound like I'm some superhero, there are several people working on this equipment, but ultimately it's my design that keeps effing up. Fortunately, it seems that so far it's been wiring errors and broken wires along with a bad piece of electronics; not design errors. Also, it's corporate policy to blame the software guys when something doesn't work, but the guy doing our software has been pretty spot on so far, so I can rule his work out right away. Nicely done Easy E!

After work today, I went home, changed my clothes and headed out to the Rail Trail for a casual 10.3-miler. I didn't get there until 6, which meant if I hauled ass I could finish by roughly 7:30 when it would be pretty much dark. At distances such as that, I usually aim for 8:00 miles, so simple math tells us I should be able to finish in a little over 80 minutes. Cutting... it... close.

After the first half, I was right at 41:30, pretty much just what I expected. There was a brief dog situation where an unleashed German Shepherd was wandering near some guy. I expected when he saw me that the guy would at least put a hand on the dog, but he just let the dog wander free while I nervously walked by. I didn't want to run lest the dog should think I was playing and eat my savory ass meat. I later passed this thoughtful gentleman later walking his dog (on a leash).

When I finally made it back to my car, it was 1:23:48 into the run. Damn I'm good. That's 83 minutes and change, exactly twice the time it took to get to the halfway point; talk about pacing.

I headed over to the friendly neighborhood Price Chopper for a few viddles when I finished. I wasn't dressed like you regular grocery shopper, but I didn't think I was that far out of the ordinary. People kept looking at me like there was something up; looking at me like I had a huge booger hanging from my lip. It wasn't until I got home that I realized my face crevices were filled with a thick salty crust. I said crevices, not wrinkles. When it's dry out, the sweat dries up on your face before it can drip down, leaving a salty crust.

I stocked up on some delish foods, including extra thick all natural chips with sea salt. It wasn't until I opened the bag that I realized they weren't really all that thick, what a rip. What they lacked in thickness though, they did make up for in salty goodness. I jacked those puppies up first thing. While I wasn't that tired after my run, I was certainly hungry.

Next I made up a small pot of Starbucks coffee. I've been using regular coffee at home while slowly developing a taste for Starbucks coffee on the road. I'm not sure it's exactly Starbucks itself that I like, but just good coffee. This test pot answered the question, it is good stuff.

Well folks, it's time for this blogger to get his ass in the shower then get to bed. Thanks for listening and I hope to keep up with my writing a little better in days to come. In the meantime, kick back and relax with a piping cup of coffee.

Over and Out,
Old Coot

1 comment:

RackmanT said...

> "Savory Ass Meat"

Band name!

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre