Friday, September 29, 2006

Friday, the New Saturday

Hey y'all, due to unplanned rebooting of my PC yesterday, you were not given access to my newest blog entry, as it was deleted. In fact, I don't even remember what I was talking about, but today I'm going to attempt to make up for it. I recall that there were two points of discussion, with one being the moonwalking bird. If you haven't seen this video, using your pointing device, press play on this embedded video player.

The sound really makes this video worthwhile. Otherwise it would just be another wacky animal flick.



Thank you for playing; please exit to your left.


My Sister is so Wacky

For those of you who do not normally read the comments to this here blog, I recommend that you do. Most of my comments come from my sister who, in a classical definition of the word, is a fool. Not a fool like being able to easily separate from her money, but a fool like she's foolish. She's crazy, no no, frazy. Maybe the comments are only funny to me because I know her and most of the time they're inside jokes from when we were chilluns, but I regularly have to remove the snot from the mustache portion of my power 'tee upon reading her comments. Phew. So give them a shot.

In case you're wondering, she has an account but must post anonymously because she's blogging with the new Beta Blogger, and the bigots at Blogger don't want the different classes of bloggers intermixing. She actually has to send a comment to a guy known only as 'Chocolate Mousse' by means of The Pony Express to avoid lashback from the Blogger Republican Guard.


Since When is a Lump Bad?

This strange lump on my ankle is becoming a real nuisance. It hasn't affected my running yet - which is key - but it turns out it's an early form of shin splints. Fortunately I caught it in time and can do something about it. I just have to stretch the old calves and do toe lifts. It seems that my gas trucks (calves) are too diesel for my shin muscles and they're literally tearing the shin muscles away from the bone; straight ruthless. I don't know why this creates a hard lump on my shin, but it does. So for the time being I'm going to be doing toe lifts at every convenient moment (read: when I can remember).


DILEMMA

Ever since I learned that North Adams was holding not just a race, but also a parade honoring my birth, I've been planning on running said race and perhaps watching some of said parade. This all became less than certain last night when I received an e-mail from the leader of the RRFs (a subset of the CRG). She was planning a "surprise" run in my honor complete with breakfast at Bob's Country Kitchen, one of my favorite breakfast establishments in Berkshire County. Surprise is in quotes because I received the e-mail directly but the instructions included not telling me about it. She's so kuhrazy.

While I am leaning heavily towards running with the CRG and anyone else who shows up, I'm in a mental state of debate (thank you Digable Planets). I've been talking a lot of trash about this race, a LOT, and if I don't show I won't be able to show my face in public until I'm able to outperform my peers (or super-peers, since they're all older than I am) in an organized race. Plus Bizarro said he'd be there with his wife and kids to root me on. FANS! I could have fans! One time I thought I had someone cheer for me but she might have been talking about her gold boots. Old Coot isn't even my real name, so I don't know why she would have been yelling "Old Coot" at me anyway.

The next option is to run with the CRG in the early AM, gorge myself on pancakes after the run, then haul ass to North Adams by 11:00-11:30. It's certainly doable, I might just leave the race option open and not rush everything else just to make it there on time. People were kind enough to plan an honorary run/breakfast/surprise for me, I think that's more important than some lousy race.


Well, that folks is what's on my mind today. Also, my sneakers are hurting my feet, but I'm dealing with that. For those of you who expressed concern with my ice cream-less freezer I'd like you to know that I bought some ice cream last night, plus some Reese's hard shell sauce (similar to "Red Dip" only it's not red, you don't dip it, and it's Reese's Peanut Butter Cup flavored).


No More Bah Humbug for Halloween

OH, and I bought Halloween candy! This will be the first year that I'm giving out candy. Over the years, my hatred for Christmas has crept into other overly-commercialized holidays and as a result I have boycotted Halloween.

This year, probably due to The Summer of Todd, I have decided that Halloween is an okay holiday. It's not about companies making money off of somebody's birth or death, it's about giving candy to kids. I think I've softened in my old age and no longer find kids to be a complete nuisance. Unlike dogs, I might even consider buying some someday (although listening to the fellas at lunch provides a strong case against owning kids), and kids in costumes are certainly out there working for that candy. So this year I'm going to give out candy, and I'm getting the good shit too. I toyed with the idea of full-size candy bars (ahh Mrs. Richmond, you were too kind) but I think that's more of a punishment for parents so I'll just give each kid several smaller items. Anything is better than the scowl I gave them last year.

And that's that. You heard it here, folks. Now tell your friends.

Over and Out,
Old Coot

1 comment:

RackmanT said...

Re: Halloween
Just make sure that you make the kids actually say "Trick or Treat!!" Kids these days just expect you to dump candy in their bags when they open them up at your front door. I always make the kids say "trick or treat", so now Rackwife tends to not let me man the door, because I'm so hardcore, which is also a bonus.

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre