Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Goodbye to a Friend

Our friendship lasted only a few weeks but in that time I had really grown attached to my new friend. We spent all of our free time together, poking fun at each other, laughing, eating meals and enjoying the leftovers. Alas, the world was not ready for a relationship like ours and we have been forced to go our separate ways...


Who is this Friend?

This friend about whom I am writing is my Speed 'Stache. The ridicule at work turned from friendly laughter to outright vicious jabs. Jokes that could have been taken as just that, jokes, were followed with "but seriously, it has to go" leaving me to think that maybe people not only didn't like it, but were offended (or threatened) by it. Then there was the half hour "you'll never find a woman..." monologue this afternoon where I could only defend myself with "yeah, but no other facial hair configuration seems to be working either".

So friends, I have decided to bid the 'stache adieu and go back to the little boy clean shaven look. That is, until I go a few days without shaving and start back in on the Power 'Tee.

For those of you saddened by the loss, I'll leave you with this. The Speed 'Stache did not live up to his name. In fact, today was the nicest day of the year (or one of the nicest) and my track workout was pretty sorry. I dug deep looking for the power to push through the workout but the 'stache had his mind elsewhere and the pace slowed to a miserable glorified jog. Maybe he was already getting ready to leave, or maybe he was just not cut out for such a finely tuned athlete. Whatever the case, we won't be working or playing together anymore.


Not Leaving without a Photo Shoot

I set up my camera on my desk and fired off a few dozen shots, looking for one that would capture the 'stache's true essence. I found out that he was also a curious, caring, in-your-face kind of mustache that has simply been misunderstood.

Inquisitive Mustache


'Stache Tweak


In Yo Face! Mustache



And that's the end of that chapter (wiping hands).

Little Boy is Blue


The 'Stache Met His Maker



Over and Out,
Old Coot

9 comments:

RackmanT said...

Oh my gawd. That "Inquisitive Mustache" has got to be the best picture evar. I had no idea Freddy Mercury was still alive!

Todd said...

I don't know who Freddy Mercury is/was, but I'll be a-googling him soon.

Okay, done. Yeah I see the resemblance. He was a mustachioed tenor, I like to sing along to Bohemian Rhapsody in the privacy of my own home/car. Statues of him were erected in Germany, nobody in Germany has ever heard of me. Definitely a strong likeness there.

Maven said...

I have to say I'm a little sad that the stache is already gone. It was ethcra cruel that you only posted pictures after its fate was sealed. Don't play with my emotions like that again.

Maven said...

Also I think you would enjoy this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PsnxDQvQpw

Todd said...

While I liked that video, I'm a little concerned about why you thought I'd like it.

Nobody watch that video! If you've already watched it, only 85% of it is true for the Old Coot.

P.S. I don't watch Grey's Anatomy and I'm not afraid of heights. And I have TWO pet cats, not one. So there!

Maven said...

Hahahaha--I just thought you would enjoy the humor--I didn't suspect you would relate so strongly to the dude...

Poundpapi said...

Hate to hate, and in this case, my hate of hate works in your favor: I actually approved of the speed 'stache. I hate that you shaved it off. Oooop! There goes my hate again.

Abbey said...

Wow, except for the fact that you hauntingly resemble Phil from Mom and Dad's wedding pictures, I really liked the 'Stache. In fact, you actually look weird in the Little Boy picture...

In other news, thank you Bizarro Todd (sorry the Original Recipe is my brohams) for using "evar." It always causes me a chuckle...

Anonymous said...

We should mourn on this day because on this day a hero, Cochise was lost...

In honor of the speed 'stache I leave you with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PsnxDQvQpw

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre