Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Parents Weekend

I apologize to all of you who have been sitting at your computers all weekend hitting the refresh button on your favorite web browser, hoping, just hoping to find something new on this here blog. I'm sure there was plenty to share with you, but I was busy entertaining ye olde folkse.


Much Ado About Nothing

Okay, I'm going to claim ignorance here and admit that I don't know what "Much ado about nothing" really means, but what I mean is "I did much nothing". I can at least safely say that I know the saying doesn't mean that. If you don't like it, you try coming up with witty headlines day in and day out.

Anyway, aside from the two times my dad fired up the old laptop for some Freecell, it stayed powered down. I have to admit that not checking your e-mail(s), blogging, or browsing in general for a few days is pretty nice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not canceling my DSL any time soon, but it was nice to take a break. I didn't even look at my phone for the whole weekend either (status: no messages).

Instead, we spent the weekend cooking, eating, sunning ourselves in my new lawn chairs, watching my dad pull weeds, making coffee and we threw a campfire in for good measure. I even picked up a few plants (shrubs) at Whitney's Farm, as well as some delicious homemade pies.

I won't get started on the scam that is the autumn shrub sale. Suffice it to say that it excludes every shrub they sell. They even had the sale sign prominently displayed with a plant that it explicitly excluded. It might as well have said "This Plant is Not On Sale". Oops, guess I got started on it.


Sunday Driving a La Bike

Actually, it was all weekend except Sunday but I went for a couple of nice bike rides. The first was Saturday morning with a guy from my running/riding crew. He had just done some mega ride last weekend up in the Adirondack's, so he whined the whole time. Meanwhile, I'm in prime hill climbing shape so I barely even noticed the hills.

The ride was slated for 30 miles over to NY and back. After 20 miles I was about warmed up and raring to go. He was tired and ready to be home. Somehow I talked him into taking the long cut back under the guise of avoiding the mountain on Rte 20. It would add about 10 miles and in reality, any way we went there was a mountain between us and home. Instead of taking Rte 20 we swung a north and went up Rte 22, then back over 43 past Brody Mountain. In the end it was a nice easy-paced 40-miler.

I got my first glimpse of the new windmill on Brody Mtn (or Jiminy Peak, wherever it is) that morning. It is truly awesome! Hopefully I can get back out there to get some pictures for y'all so you can appreciate it's splendorousness. I don't know what the naysayers are complaining about, I think it looks wicked cool up on the mountain, rotating ever so slowly.

After my folks left on Monday, I fired ye olde internette machine and saw that there would be a bike ride in 45 minutes. That was it, I cleared my schedule (of planting bushes), changed my clothes and hauled ass to the meeting spot. If I had a spot to put my camera I would have brought it, because we'd be going right past the windmill again. Damn, another perfect day for photographasizing windmilles and I couldn't bring my camera.

In short, yesterday's ride was also awesome. Not only was the weather perfect but my mood was also perfect. I finished up and felt like a million bucks. A quick change of clothes and I set to work planting my new bushes. They look like a million bucks too; ahh, a perfect day.


Bathroom Matters

Every time my family gets together, a toilet gets clogged. Usually we can blame my sister, but this time she wouldn't be there. In preparation for the visit, I had been giving the toilet extra flushes every day, trying to keep it limber. The toilet had also been doing calisthenics of its own, in the shape of a leaky valve that kept it running every few seconds. I was NOT about to touch that before having company (since I only have one bathroom), but now I have to get to it. I'll keep y'all posted. Between that and the leaky tub I almost feel guilty with the water I'm wasting.

Almost.


Well, that's the news from here. I'll holler at y'all later.


Over and Out,
Old Coot

2 comments:

Abbey said...

Yesss! Finally free from toilet blame! And if I remember correctly, MOM was the culprit the time you had to use the enzymes!

WV: wcasf: The shortest WV EVAR.

Todd said...

I wouldn't say you're free from blame. The way I see it, the toilet didn't get clogged but you weren't here. Sounds to me like maybe you are the one to blame.

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre