Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Project Central

Happy Wednesday everybody, it's more gloom and doom as far as the weather goes. I think I saw a ray of sunshine last weekend, but it might have been someone's high beams. They're predicting a warm and (partly) sunny weekend, ideal for soaking up some UV light for some homemade Vitamin D.


JO's Porch Project

Last weekend I went out to the Albany area to help JO dig some holes. We had 10 holes that needed digging, and the concrete with which to fill them. By about 10:00 in the morning we had laid out holes for the piers and fired up the rental auger. Before digging, we carefully noted the location of the cable and phone lines.

About 4 inches into the soft, sandy soil the auger stopped spinning. We pushed, pulled, swore and nothing seemed to work. Finally JO called up Home Depot to see if they could tell us how to get the damned thing going. The guy on the other end recommended we bring it back in. Nothing slows a project more than making unnecessary trips to the Despot (besides weather, I guess) so we pulled it out and examined everything.

As it turns out, there's an abandoned cable line running right through the deck area. What are the odds that we'd hit it on the first hole? With that behind us, we pressed on.

Yadda yadda yadda.

By the end of the night we had all 10 piers dug, leveled, plumbed, poured, and the tools put away. The next step is to frame that bad boy up. That'll be this Saturday's project.

Oh, the best part is JO's dad thought I was a contractor. It just goes to show you that I know my shit and have that take charge personality. The fact that I brought my running (construction worker looking) vest with me just in case some ladies needed impressing might have helped a little.

This weekend we're going to get it framed - and hopefully decked - up. I even treated myself to a new hammer and tool belt for the occasion. What!?


Oh, and My Own House

In the mail yesterday was a post card from my dear sister. Thanks Ab, it's on the fridge awaiting a better location. In addition to that I also received the paperwork from the bank for my home equity line of credit. Check! I promptly tore the plastic off all of my downstairs windows (the only old ones left) and measured those beasts up.

On my way home from work today, I stopped off at the Home Despot and placed a loan denting order for 7 new windows (12 months interest free, thank you very much). While I was at it I picked up a storm door for the front door. I can't wait to be able to get that breeze coming through that door. I've been in this house for almost 5 years and have yet to be able to get a decent breeze through the place.

Can you say "Summer of Todd, Volume II"? I thought so.


Over and Out,
Old Coot

2 comments:

Abbey said...

You're welcome on the pc front, and congrats on the storm door front. Having a good breeze in your house makes being inside that much easier on a nice day.

Maven said...

Dude! Where you is?

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre