Monday, October 02, 2006

Happy New Year

Welcome Coot followers. Today is the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur and that has next to no impact on my life. I just thought I'd point it out. To all of my Jewish readers out there, Happy New Year! To the rest of you Gentiles/Other/Athiests, Happy Monday!

This weekend was very productive for yours truly, despite the wack weather. Saturday I slept in all the way til about 8:00 when a combination of cat screams and a full bladder persuaded me from my heavily blanketed resting spot. You heard all about my breakfast already, but what you haven't heard is what I did with the rest of my day.

Once the sun was out and about, I too headed out and about to clean up some of the detritus in the yard. No, I didn't tackle the sinks/doors/lumber, but did rake up the gobs of needles, tree debris and pine cones. I yanked out the weeds that were starting to take over my driveway and even straightened out some of the rocks on the retaining wall next to the driveway. To the layperson, it would seem that I did absolutely nothing, but it really felt like an accomplishment to me and that's what matters.

Once the needles and other assorted junk was bagged up, I turned my efforts to mowing the lawn. As promised, I gave it the diagonal treatment and it came out looking pretty good. It wasn't as hard as I expected, just a little hairy by the driveway where one wrong step would mean falling over the wall followed by a running lawnmower. That would not be good.

After the outside was tended to, I moved in to clean up the house a little, launder some clothes and bake some "Absolutely Chocolate Chip Cookies", which are basically chocolate-chocolate chip cookies. Those puppies came out pretty good. I just passed the remaining dozen around the office, building my popularity. Those were originally earmarked for the lunch crew, but I forgot them and had to get them out of my possession before I ate them all.

Back to Saturday: With the cookies cooling silently on the racks, I headed to the garage to work on my adirondack chair. This is the chair I started assembling a few months back, only to be thwarted by my own inability to follow the directions. After gluing and screwing the first two pieces together wrong I put that on hold.

Saturday I got to work again; sanding off the excess glue and re-attaching the pieces in the correct position. SHIT, I did it wrong again! This time I caught my error quickly and it was pretty easy to get them apart and reassembled correctly. Now the project was moving forward.

After I got the first few pieces attached, I stopped to both let the glue set up and to eat some dinner. Having spent the entire day without human contact, I thought I'd go to my friendly neighborhood coffee shop for a coffee and a sandwich. I had plenty of coffee and food at home, but the trip was just to get out of the house.

Upon ordering, I realized that they had everything cleaned up. I asked what time they close and she told me "In about 2 minutes". "Oh, so I bought this coffee and sandwich only to have to eat it in my own house?" I thought to myself. Sweet.

I did a little more laundry and settled into the recliner for a movie. That was about it.

Editor's Note: Okay, I forgot to post this one the other day so I'm just going to stop in the middle. Sorry, work must have gotten in the way.

Over and Out,
Old Coot

No comments:

"Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him.' and I just took off." -Pre